The EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) is active from 25 May 2018. By law we must ask you for your clear, unambiguous consent before we can email you anything or use or share your data in any other way.
Who we are
The International Union of Anthropological and Ethnological Sciences (IUAES) is a Controller of Data for the purpose of the GDPR. Our address is IUAES Secretariat, c/o Center for International Academic Exchange, National Museum of Ethnology 10-1, Senri Expo Park, Suita, Osaka 565-8511, Japan. The IUAES website address is waunet.org/iuaes.
Legal Basis for Processing your Data
The legal basis for processing your data will be Consent: in becoming a member of the IUAES you have given your consent for us to process your personal data for a specific purpose of informing you of:
- All notices pertaining to the activities of the IUAES/WAU, including activities and events relating to anthropology and ethnology from other learned societies, publishers and organisations that align with our interests.
- To vote in the election of officers of the IUAES Executive Committee, and to vote during the General Assembly, at any meetings of the IUAES/WAU.
The IUAES may sometimes need to process your data to pursue our legitimate interests. Our legitimate interests include fraud prevention, administrative purposes, reporting potential crimes.
The types of personal data we collect and use
- Personal details including name, address, email address
- Membership details including renewal date and type of membership
- Financial information, dependant on the mode of payment of membership dues.
- Further personal choice information including:
- Members research interests which have been provided voluntarily
- Information on member applications for IUAES funding
The Webmaster and Congress/Conference Organizer are designated Data Protection Officers and the Membership Secretary is our designated Data Processing Officer, who holds the membership records. We use your personal data for the purpose of communicating with you about the activities of the IUAES, by email and through our social media channels.
We will only disclose information about you to additional third parties other than those stated above if we are legally obliged to do so or where we need to comply with our contractual duties to you.
We do not share your information with third parties or for third party commercial reasons.
Under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) you have a number of rights with regard to your personal data. You have the right to request from us access to and rectification or erasure of your personal data (the right to be forgotten), the right to restrict processing, object to processing as well as in certain circumstances the right to data portability.
If you have provided consent for the processing of your data you have the right (in certain circumstances) to withdraw that consent at any time which will not affect the lawfulness of the processing before your consent was withdrawn.
You have the right to lodge a complaint to the Information Commissioners’ Office if you believe that we have not complied with the requirements of the GDPR with regard to your personal data.